Dental flossing is very important for preventive healthcare. It costs very little but does require commitment. I invented and patented the Dental Floss Dispenser with Clip, which attaches dental floss to a toothpaste tube. This aids in the commitment part of flossing for good health. This device requires little more than a clip on your dental floss container. I have achieved hundreds of prototypes using the type of clip on measuring tapes and slipping the clip into a slit on the average dental floss dispenser. The cost to reproduce is approximately $1.00 per unit and retail at $3.99.
“Only floss the teeth you want to keep!”
A good mother, I want my children to have good health and healthy teeth. I created the Dental Floss Dispenser with Clip after my youngest was at college for a month. One phone conversation I inquired about her flossing habit and she honestly answered, “No, I keep forgetting.” I asked why and she said her floss was lost in the drawer and she was too rushed to find it. From this conversation I developed the Dental Floss Dispenser with Clip, designed to put the floss in hand every time you pick up your toothpaste. The device worked and she never neglected to floss again.
“SAVE TIME – SAVE MONEY– SAVE LIVES”
According to the CDC, 50% of US adults have Periodontal (gum) Disease. The CDC states 20% of US adults age 65-75 were edentulous (toothless), 26% over age 75.
Gum disease is an infection that irreversibly destroys the bone that holds teeth in place. When insufficient bone remains to support the teeth they will loosen or fall out.
Gum disease is a systemic disease linked to diabetes, heart disease, dementia and poor pregnancy outcome. Upwards of 90% of systemic diseases have oral manifestations. In 2007 a 12 year old boy died after an infection from an untreated tooth abscess spread to his brain1.
Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among school age children 5-17 with 59% affected2.
51 million school hours are lost annually to dental illness2.
164 million work hours are lost annually to dental illness2.
“Once a flosser, always a flosser!”
The ultimate goal is to provide, FREE, Dental Floss Dispenser with Clip to every third grader, each year, across the Nation. Second graders are the best age to begin this program because they are at the age of getting their permanent teeth and have the agility to use the floss string. The result of implementing the Dental Floss Dispenser with Clip to every second grader across the U.S. is an improved health of the Nation.
“Floss. it’s that important!”
1. “Dental Health Issues Take a Bite out of School Attendance. “Attendance Works. N.p., 01 Aug. 2014. Web 21 June 2017.
2. "Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General (Executive Summary)." National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, n.d. Web. 23 June 2017.
ABOUT THE ENTRANT
- Name:Wanda Klopf
- Type of entry:individual
- Number of times previously entering contest:1
- Wanda's hobbies and activities:Inventing, Innovation, Discovering, Exploring
- Wanda belongs to these online communities:Linkedin, Facebook, Edison Innovation Association
- Wanda is inspired by:At work and play they call me Ms. McGuiver because I love to solve problems and make life easier for everyone. ;)
- Patent status:patented