New proprietary solar panel technology that generates as much energy as existing solar PV panel technology at 10-15% less cost of energy (even more saving in some applications).
It offers enhanced mechanical strength, anti-slip, anti-glare, and anti-scratch properties which extend the use of solar energy to new applications not possible by existing solar panel technology such as railroads (e.g., between rails), and lightly-used walkable outdoor spaces, airport spaces (e.g., large empty spaces between runways and apron), and floating solar walkways/pedestrian bridges.
It is also cheaper and easier (thus very competitive) for other applications such as building-integrated photovoltaic systems (BIPV), floating solar farms, flat rooftops (e.g., gas stations/car sheds), Marine vessel decks, Rooftops of buses and RVs, refrigeration truck fleets, and irrigation systems.
Solar panels need to be mounted on tilted frames to face the sun and harvest more incident solar energy. But can you imagine tilted solar panels placed on rail tracks, on a “usable” rooftop space, on a walkable pavement, on top of a marine vessel deck, or on top of an RV/bus/truck trailer? It is just not possible, but you may ask: well, why not just place them horizontally?
That’s exactly what all others do. But there is a price you pay: you harvest 15-20% less energy from the sun, and hence you end up paying a higher price for the harvested energy! And yeah, they will break up when someone steps on top of them, their glare will disturb bypassers, and will blind train drivers or pilots in an airport, etc
What SUNPave’s technology offers is a rigid sturdy panel that is placed horizontally on surfaces or vertically on walls but can still harvest the same amount of solar energy tilted PV panel tracking the sun can. So, what does this lead to?
- A solution tailored to new mechanically-demanding applications (not possible by existing technologies).
- More efficient solar energy harvesting.
- A serious competitor to existing PV panel technology in many of its traditional and emerging applications.
But why is SUNPave technology able to do so?
- No costly/bulky tracking mechanisms required.
- No tilting mounting structures/frames required.
- No inter-row shading (Thus, smaller system area).
- Entirely glare-free.
- Easier and cheaper to clean.
- Self-orientation toward the sun.
- All above feeds into a lower cost of electricity generated than existing PV panel technology (quicker payback).