Haima Therapeutics is a pre-clinical stage biotechnology company focused on the development of a platelet-inspired artificial cell platform that leverages platelet mechanisms to provide therapy in multiple indications including hemorrhage, thrombosis, inflammation, and cancer.
Platelets are Nature’s Delivery Vehicles. Platelets are cells that circulate in the blood and touch every organ system in the body. Their primary role is to stop bleeding (hemostasis), but platelets drive many other physio/pathological conditions in the body including thrombosis, inflammation, and cancer. Platelets function by
- Interacting with other cells and tissues via their surface proteins
- Carrying and delivering soluble molecules
Natural platelet transfusions are widely used in the clinic, mostly to treat or mitigate bleeding.
Haima’s Artificial Platelet Platform mimics platelets through the surface presentation of peptides/proteins to interact with target cells/tissues and internal loading of soluble drug molecules to site-selectively deliver a therapeutic payload.
Lead Program: SynthoPlate for Hemorrhage Control
SynthoPlate is a fully synthetic, intravenous hemostat that adheres to the site of injury and promotes platelet recruitment and aggregation to prevent and treat bleeding complications.
- SynthoPlate reduces clotting time and enhances clot firmness; making stronger clots faster.
- SynthoPlate decreases bleeding time and increases survival in small and large pre-clinical models of hemorrhage.
- SynthoPlate is safe and does not cause spontaneous clot formation and has not shown signs of toxicity.