This invention has provided a cooler and electricity generator in one place. It is powered by wheel rotation, solar photovoltaic, motorcycle engine or grid electricity supply. The invention looks at some pressing socioeconomic conundrums (such as street begging) which are wrongly associated with Islamic religion and northern region in Nigeria and how we can leverage on technology hybridization to proffer sustainable energy solution for the benefit of people with special needs and the rural/urban poor populations. This invention runs to improve food, medicine, and vaccine supply chains. The cold-room can freeze liquids, maintain freshness of perishables and generate electricity by its wheel rotation. KASAMU COOLER, named after my mother, Khadija Sani Muhammad, runs on locally produced organic refrigerant that reduces climate impact of refrigeration industry at the same time promotes collaboration between smallholder farmers and cities.
To help people in Africa reduce the wastage rate, climate and electricity supply impacts, this invention provided a hybrid mobile device that involves embedded systems where multiple disciplines, including mechanical, electrical and software engineering knowledge and skills are employed. Also, embedded controllers are applied to utilize the different technologies and programming languages requirements. Specifically, I used field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) and microcontrollers which are programmed in C, Java and Python.
This cold-room is designed in three (3) conceptual shapes as mobile, portable, and stationary, is trying to introduce energy transformation that incorporates cooling, electrification and digitalization in one place in order to save energy in a sustainable way and to achieve the nation’s commitment towards net zero as pledged by Nigeria's President in November 2021 at COP26 in Glasgow, Scotland, without in-appropriately harming our existing petroleum economy.
The tangible Benefits to Rural Communities include but is not limited to:
- At stationary and portable, the cooler ensures preservation of perishable food items, blood and vaccines to reduce wastages from the city where primary loss occurs.
- On transit (mobile concept), it generates electricity for battery charging and for cooling maintaining the quality standard of foods and/or pharmaceutical commodities.
- In addition to cooling, an auxiliary service allows rural and poor urban children to read at night, charge cell phones and power radio/television.
- For real-time access, GPS/GPRS tracking mechanism allows user track cooler’s location details.
- Through “hybridization” the “direct and indirect impacts” of refrigerants and greenhouse gases (GHGs) emission are removed from environment.
With this invention, women/youth/people with special needs are gainfully employed to deliver cell phone charging and cooling services to consumers. And we are able to reduce climate impacts in the cooling industry, simulated transition to electric vehicles, showed how MSMEs can contribute to sustainable cooling, engaged in digital transformations, and identified how to achieve net-zero emissions targets without negatively impacting on Nigeria’s economy.
The value addition to existing technologies include but are not limited to hybridization of power sources, self-generation of electricity, use of locally produced organic-refrigerant and real-time localization of the system. Hence, KASAMU COOLER is a “crossbreed” temperature controlled small logistic vehicle.