Instrument A-B Connection Box
Current implementations of instrument A-B switching devices use either an push-on/push-off maintained connection push-button foot switch, or various unnecessarily complex electronic means to do a simple switching function.
These devices have some disadvantages.
(e.g., No indication of, or difficult to view, switch status; battery or external power suppy needed if LEDs used to indicate switch position; proprietary design switches (difficult or impossible to replace;
or switches not readily available, or expensive;
unsoldering/soldering required to replace switch;
A passive design A-B switch, using a readily available SPDT TOGGLE switch, with screw terminals, in a utility box; that can be foot or hand operated, and mountable in many locations.
- No power required; passive A-B switch (no noise or sound coloration).
- Toggle switch position gives positive indication of switch status.
Features and design implementation:
1. Tough thermoplastic 4.25" x 2.5" x 1.25" utility box;
(durability test: Stood on with one foot, 150lbs weight, no damage).
2. Steel utility box cover plate for toggle switch.
3. Three Tip/Ring/Sleeve jacks (A, B, and Common) used, long-side mounted, with Ring contact connected to Sleeve Contact for excellent/redundant ground connectivity;
(used as standard "guitar" cord Tip/Sleeve type jacks); mounted on long edge sides of box.
4. Toggle switch (SPDT) readily available at home improvement or hardware store;
(durability test: Also stood on with one foot, 150lbs weight, no damage); "field replaceable"/no soldering required; only need a screwdriver; $2 item.
5. Internal adhesive-backed foil shielding on inside of box.
6. Rubber/Vinyl non-slip cover on tip of toggle switch.
7. 2 attached cord management loops (1/8" Poly-rope cord);
prevents cords from being dislodged; also allows for
hanging box on mic or keyboard stand.
8. Velcro hook tape strips on bottom of case
(for use on loop style carpet, or with Pedal boards.
9. Removable non-slip material around bottom and sides of
box, secured with cloth covered elastic band;
for use on any surface; easily replaceable items.
10. Top cover label.
Construction similar to other entry,
Microphone/Tnstrument Mute Switch Box.
Target selling price: $40
ABOUT THE ENTRANT
Type of entry:individual
Number of times previously entering contest:never
David's favorite design and analysis tools:Microsoft Publisher, Word, Excel.
For managing CAD data David's company uses:None
David's hobbies and activities:Computer Service and Support, Music, "Sound Man"
David belongs to these online communities:
David is inspired by:Simple, timesaving, durable, practical, repairable, non-throwaway designs.
Hardware used for this entry:Asus Eee PC 901 NetbookSoftware used for this entry:Microsoft Publisher