- Water purification is the process of removing undesirable chemicals, biological contaminants, suspended solids and gases from contaminated water.
- Around 80 percent of diseases in India is caused by water-borne micro-organisms. According to a 2009 World Health Organization report, 1.1 billion people need improved drinking water supply. 88% of the 4 billion annual cases of diarrheal disease are attributed to unsafe water and inadequate sanitation and hygiene, and 1.8 million people die from diarrheal diseases each year. The WHO estimates that 94% of these diarrheal cases are preventable through modifications to the environment, including access to safe water.
- Numbers of purification systems has been developed around the globe, ranging from simple techniques used for treating water at home, such as Chlorination, Filters, and Solar disinfection, and storing it in safe containers to the much complicate technologies as Reverse Osmosis.
- Most of the efficient filtration systems developed works on electricity whereas the rest do not provide satisfactory purification to match with the potable water standards.
- Therefor a new design of "Portable Low Cost Water Purifier" has been developed. Which provides water as safe as boiling water and acceptable to potable standards. In addition it does not use electricity. Hence, low operation cost.
- Parts used are easily available and replaceable.
- Main parts of the Proposed Portable Low Cost Water Purifier are:
1)Micro-fiber Mesh: Removes visible dirt, made of non-woven processed yarn
2)Compact Carbon Trap: Removes remaining dirt, harmful parasites & pesticide impurities
3)Germ kill Processor: Uses powdered chlorine release technology and its stored germ kill process targets and kills harmful virus and bacteria, performs chlorination.
4)Camper: It works as a storage compartment for the water coming out from the Compact Carbon Trap and stores the purified water in it, and maintains the temperature of water stored in it.
5)Cooling stick: Cools the water collected in the lower compartment of the proposed Portable Water Purifier
-Processed Non-woven yarn used are of 35 to 70 gsm capacity.
-Acceptable water standards :
-Level of TDS (milligrams per litre) Rating
ABOUT THE ENTRANT
Type of entry:teamTeam members:KRUTARTH S PATEL
Software used for this entry:CATIA