Existing design/prior art wiping systems for the last 100 years haven't changed much. Almost all cars use Motors that drives a Worm wheel and 4-bar linkages to give torque and high forces to wiper arm and blade. My invention relates to a Curved Maglev Rail and guide connected to Wiper Arm & Blade Assembly, includes frictionless Magnetic Levitation/Electromagnetic propulsion systems. This is expected to wipe efficiently with reduced overall energy consumption, larger wiping area, higher safety, visibility, reduced noise. Can be applied in various transportation applications, present and future that may have highly curved glasses.
Attached images show the working parts. Video shows Animations and 3D images of the mechanism. A curved Maglev Rail is matched to the glass curvature across the width of vehicle. Magnets are fixed inside the Rail along the curved profile, and juxtaposed at 90 degrees to each other. The upper and lower magnets in blue support the loads of wiper. The magnets fixed sideways exert a suitably high force on wiper arm and blade to give efficient wiping. The Wiper Arm & Blade is fixed to a Thin Lightweight Motor mounted on a Guide which moves in a non-contact manner inside the Maglev Rail. The Guide is activated when Wiping system is switched 'ON', and is propelled along the curve of the Rail. The single wiper blade does NOT contact the glass in 'OFF' mode. The Motor function is only to rotate the wiper in free condition, from a horizontal "parked position" to vertical "working position" and vice-versa. The Maglev has 4 functions:- 1) move the Guide/wiper arm precisely around the curve of Rail ,at high speed and without friction, 2) Brake the wiper motion to standstill at extremities, 3) Apply large Force on Wiper Blade against the glass, 4) Retract Wiper Blade from glass when not in use, (manipulation of Air Gap through electronic controls of electromagnetic forces)
MANUFACTURABILITY: Maglev Rail, magnets, and other parts are available technology . High speed wiping may call for suitable blade material technology.
1) Better Wiping: due to precise Orientation of Blade perpendicular to glass uniformly throughout its travel.
2) Optimized Energy Consumption: The ability to adjust the forces on wiper blade-to-glass contact surface as per weather conditions - unique in this invention.
3) Improved visibility/Field of vision: a Near-perfect Rectangular wiping area.
4) Safety: owing to vastly improved visibility.
5) Reduced Wiping system Noise: due to frictionless motion of Guide . Less Blade squeak and judder noise due to precise orientation of blade .
6) Ability to wipe Highly curved glasses: The Maglev rail can accept smaller radius of curvature, and still ensure good blade contact.
7) Longer blade life: Wiper blade is in contact with glass only when needed . Hence much cleaner, does not collect debris due to Retracted Blade edge/tip.
8) Easy adaptation for Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive versions: Rail ,guide, wiper arm, blades can remain same, changes required only in controller.
ABOUT THE ENTRANT
Type of entry:individual
Number of times previously entering contest:never
Kaustubhan's favorite design and analysis tools:Autodesk Maya
Kaustubhan's hobbies and activities:Tennis, meditation, music
Kaustubhan is inspired by:The burning urge to create products superior to what exists.
Software used for this entry:Autodesk