Smart gardening and farming using sustainable, cost-effective and reusable techniques require smart planning and implementation of resources and focus on effective utilization, extensibility and adaptability of agricultural inputs. The steps involved include:
1. Nearness of farming/gardening location with kitchen and water supply unit. Manure and waste management from kitchen and water supply unit could be effectively utilized at the garden/farms. Home made manure along with dried leaves and leftovers of vegetables and fruits enables growth of existing plants and sowing of newer plants without
2. Waste water management enables saving water resources and timely irrigation of farms/gardens.
3. Soil preparation and timely sowing of seeds during break time at the kitchen and cleaning time intervals.
4. Reference with existing agriculture wikipedia depending upon the location and season.
5. Effective weeding practices and prevention of crop vandalism. Improvement in food production with timely monitoring during the pre-harvest time.
6. Post-harvest strategy and crop rotation. Spray record management and using neem leaves as an insecticide/pesticide.
7. Growing of plants according to the depth of roots in the earthen pots.
8. Feedback on the quality of reap as the harvest is utilized at the kitchen.
9. Self sufficient method to sustain a gardening/farming practice with little or no resource. This is very effective in emerging countries where there are serious budget constraints and there are 6 seasons of growing crops, fruits and vegetables.
10. Remote management of practice using Farming Suite app available on
both mobile stores (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/farming-suite/id1111072152?ls=1&mt=8) - Mobile Solution for creating invoices, orders, price sheets, track inventory, field activity and store sales, manage spray, field history records and market sales records. The app uses familiar spreadsheet interface with the following design principles -Tabulation
• Graphing and Calculation
• Localization in different languages
• Multi-user editing over the mesh network
• Interoperability - Ability to read and edit single sheet Excel 1997-2003 (.xls) and other popular spreadsheet files
• Optimization in saving of sheet data.
• Collaboration over the Cloud
• Chat integration
Farming produce video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI5FQKYnYmw
Fruits grown in the setup using seeds sown from used fruit salads at the neighboring kitchen:
Vegetables grown in the setup from used vegetable salads at the neighboring kitchen:
4. Bitter Gourd
5. Ridge Gourd
7. Taro Root
Flowers are grown in the setup as they help attract bees, birds to help in natural pollination:-
1. Genda - Holy flower taken from the dried garlands
2. Raat ki Rani flower
Medicinal plants grown in the setup:
1. Aloe Vera
3. Curry Leaves
Re-filling of soil is done after a season's crop harvest.
Waste water from the kitchen is used regularly at the garden/farm.
Khurpi and scissors are used as the only tools at the garden or farm.
Live monitoring is done regularly.
ABOUT THE ENTRANT
Type of entry:teamTeam members:Usha Gupta, agriculture entrepreneur
Praveen Patel, agriculture engineer
Manu Sheel Gupta - Manu Sheel Gupta is the Founder and Chairman of the Software for Education, Entertainment and Training Activities. and co-founder, Director at Aspiring Investments Corp. He has served as the former South-Asia Liaison at One Laptop per Child, where he acquired a wealth of experience in numerous technical and leadership roles. He worked closely with the governments and organizations in India and Sri Lanka to help build olpc foundations in these countries. An engineering graduate of the University of Delhi, Manu served as the Chairman of the Computer Society of India chapter at his school.
In the social profit sector, Manu has worked as the Director, Business Development at India School Fund. He also serves on the board of advisors for C.S.I., D.U. He has been a pioneer in developing software, and co-authored paint, spreadsheet, and e-book reader for olpc.
Manu is inspired by:Education Goals
OLPC Localized Keyboard is useful only to the extent it is used by the learning community. Thus, we are working with educators around the world to focus on these learning challenges:
To make OLPC Localized Keyboard and OLPC Localized Keyboard projects freely and readily available to learners everywhere
To explore and share best practices
To provide a forum for discussion and support for technology for learning
To provide mechanism for evaluation and dissemination of results.
OLPC Localized Keyboard supports the notions that learners should “share by default” and be able to “explore, express, debug, and critique.” Thus OLPC Localized Keyboard puts an emphasis on “activities” rather than “applications.” The foundation will focus on solving the challenges that are relevant to these aspects of the interface, namely:
To make it “simple” to share OLPC Localized Keyboard activities. This will require an architecture that allows discovery of activities.
To create versions of OLPC localized keyboard that run on multiple operating systems and on multiple hardware platforms. It should be “simple” to install OLPC keyboard everywhere. Specifically, it means packaging for every distribution and every virtual machine—removing hardware-related dependencies wherever possible.
To make it “simple” to write Sugar activities. This necessitates stable APIs and example code that uses these APIs.
To make OLPC keyboard activities even more secure. Our principal user community is comprised of children; they must be protected from malware, phishing, botnets, etc.
OLPC localized keyboard is here to support community innovation, entrepreneurship, and enterprise. OLPC localized keyboard would like to help community members start projects that help sustain and grow the OLPC localized keyboard technology and learning communities:
To provide local and regional technical and pedagogical support.
To create new learning activities and pedagogical practice.
To provide localization and internationalization of software, content, and documentation.
To provide integration and customization services.
Software used for this entry:xcode