Smart gardening and farming using sustainable, cost-effective and reusable techniques require smart planning and implementation of resources and focus on effective utilization, extensibility and adaptability of agricultural inputs. The steps involved include:
1. Nearness of farming/gardening location with kitchen and water supply unit. Manure and waste management from kitchen and water supply unit could be effectively utilized at the garden/farms. Home made manure along with dried leaves and leftovers of vegetables and fruits enables growth of existing plants and sowing of newer plants without
2. Waste water management enables saving water resources and timely irrigation of farms/gardens.
3. Soil preparation and timely sowing of seeds during break time at the kitchen and cleaning time intervals.
4. Reference with existing agriculture wikipedia depending upon the location and season.
5. Effective weeding practices and prevention of crop vandalism. Improvement in food production with timely monitoring during the pre-harvest time.
6. Post-harvest strategy and crop rotation. Spray record management and using neem leaves as an insecticide/pesticide.
7. Growing of plants according to the depth of roots in the earthen pots.
8. Feedback on the quality of reap as the harvest is utilized at the kitchen.
9. Self sufficient method to sustain a gardening/farming practice with little or no resource. This is very effective in emerging countries where there are serious budget constraints and there are 6 seasons of growing crops, fruits and vegetables.
10. Remote management of practice using Farming Suite app available on
both mobile stores (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/farming-suite/id1111072152?ls=1&mt=8) - Mobile Solution for creating invoices, orders, price sheets, track inventory, field activity and store sales, manage spray, field history records and market sales records. The app uses familiar spreadsheet interface with the following design principles -Tabulation
• Graphing and Calculation
• Localization in different languages
• Multi-user editing over the mesh network
• Interoperability - Ability to read and edit single sheet Excel 1997-2003 (.xls) and other popular spreadsheet files
• Optimization in saving of sheet data.
• Collaboration over the Cloud
• Chat integration
Farming produce video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI5FQKYnYmw
Fruits grown in the setup using seeds sown from used fruit salads at the neighboring kitchen:
Vegetables grown in the setup from used vegetable salads at the neighboring kitchen:
4. Bitter Gourd
5. Ridge Gourd
7. Taro Root
Flowers are grown in the setup as they help attract bees, birds to help in natural pollination:-
1. Genda - Holy flower taken from the dried garlands
2. Raat ki Rani flower
Medicinal plants grown in the setup:
1. Aloe Vera
3. Curry Leaves
Re-filling of soil is done after a season's crop harvest.
Waste water from the kitchen is used regularly at the garden/farm.
Khurpi and scissors are used as the only tools at the garden or farm.
Live monitoring is done regularly.